The African Falls Tribe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Weather & Season

WINTER in AFT is characterised in the pack's territory by dry, sunny, crisp days and cold nights, sometimes with heavy frosts. The high neighboring mountain range often gets snow.

BIRTHING: No
MATING: Yes
Season changes October 1st, 2014

Latest topics
» The African Stars Pride is Roaring to Life!
A Guide to Character Creation EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 2:42 pm by Guest

» Happy Birthday ASP!!!!
A Guide to Character Creation EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 7:58 pm by Astro

» Vuerris // Semi-Realistic Wolf RolePlay //
A Guide to Character Creation EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 6:39 pm by Guest

» Big Bad Wolf
A Guide to Character Creation EmptySat Jun 13, 2015 5:41 am by Guest

» My Appologies...
A Guide to Character Creation EmptySat May 30, 2015 2:18 pm by Astro

» The Untold Winds Pack
A Guide to Character Creation EmptyFri May 29, 2015 8:41 pm by Stubby

» Spirit Walkers
A Guide to Character Creation EmptyFri May 15, 2015 1:12 am by Laval

» Incandescence | V2 | - we moved!
A Guide to Character Creation EmptyMon May 04, 2015 2:02 am by Guest

» Join Me Maybe, old friends :*
A Guide to Character Creation EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 8:31 pm by Laval

Pack Member of the Month

No one~ This member has been active and posting for a good deal of time and had contributed to AFT through various suggestions. Congratulations on becoming December's PMotM!

Word Count
Word Length: 0

A Guide to Character Creation

Go down

A Guide to Character Creation Empty A Guide to Character Creation

Post by Raj Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:29 pm

Hey guys! Having trouble with developing your character? Well, I've got just the thing for you. Kick back, relax, maybe take notes- I don't know how you operate, but I hope this guide helps you out a bit with your creation process. c:

Developing Your Character

First thing's first: you need to have a name! Names are important and essential when creating new characters, and are often the first thing we come up with before developing their identity. Names often reflect the character's appearance or personality, and can therefore get the gears turning in your head for the next step. But how do you come up with a name, you ask? Well, friend, there are plenty of name generators on the internet at your disposal. Simply pull up google and type in the search bar, "name generator", "fantasy name generator", "[GENRE] name generator" and you'll be presented with tons of websites that supply you with amazing names for your character!

Now that you have your character's name, you have to figure out if they're male or female. This is pretty simple, considering the name you chose likely leans toward one gender or the other. However, for gender-neutral names, it's more or less a preference sort of thing on your end. Whatever gender you are most comfortable roleplaying is likely the best choice- but hey! If you want to try your hand at the gender you're less experienced with, give it a shot! It never hurts to try.

"Age is but a number." -- Anonymous
Anon, I hate to break it to you, but you are wrong. In roleplay, age is everything. If you have a two month old character, how do you expect them to look and act? Like a two month old, of course! So in deciding the age of your character, you must take into consideration all factors. Are you willing to play a character that is in the early stages of life, in its prime, or in its golden years? How will its age affect your roleplay experience?

Developing your character's appearance is probably the most frustrating part of the creation process. The reason behind this is because many people have a hard time describing what their character looks like, and can't find an adequate reference picture on google to use to help them with the description. But have no fear! There are plenty of stock websites at your disposal. I always use dawnthieves and deviantart to look for inspiration/stock for my characters. You can also use flickr, but you must make sure you go to the advanced search and select "Only search within Creative Commons-licensed content " and "Find content to modify, adapt, or build upon". These sites have high quality images of a plethora of wolves in different colors, poses, and expressions, which are just what roleplayers need to help them with their descriptions of their breathtaking characters.

"But what do I do now that I have a reference picture for my character?"
Well, my little kumquats, you do the best you can with describing your character's fur color and thickness, muscular and skeletal build, and any markings or scars you want your character to have. Remember that eye color is a big thing with roleplayers, too, and that you can stray from the norm when it comes to their eyes so long as it's not rainbow colored!

Your character's personality is what gives them that spark- that fire in them that burns hot and makes them who they are, makes them real. When first writing your character's personality, try to get a feeling of how you want them to act and list it all out. Once you're satisfied with what you have, develop and expand those ideas into sentences, then expand just a twinge more to build short paragraphs detailing the ins and outs of your character. It's a lengthy process, I know, but it's definitely worth it when you have a few decent paragraphs breaking your character down.

Do's and Don'ts

Dos:

• Create a unique character that you are comfortable with playing.
  • Give your characters strengths and weaknesses.
  • Give your character flaws.
  • Be original when creating your character.

Don'ts:

• Create a Mary Sue/Gary Stu character.
  • Steal or modify someone else's character for your own use.
  • Base a character completely off of other people (including yourself).
  • Give everything away when creating your character. It's good to know what you want to do with your character, but leave room for their development.
Raj
Raj
Tafuria

Male

http://twinlinskis.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down